|New Lenox Fire Protection District Achieves ISO Class 2 Rating, Placing NLFPD in Top 4% of Fire Departments Nationwide|
|By New Lenox Fire Protection District|
|September 25, 2018|
The New Lenox Fire Protection District recently underwent a review with the Insurance Services Office (ISO) in order to survey and update the fire protection classification rating of our community. The NLFPD is proud to announce that ISO awarded the fire district with a Class 2 rating, a significant improvement from the previous Class 4 and Class 8 rating. This is exciting news for property owners as the improvement could translate into lower insurance rates for residences and businesses within the fire district.
The ISO Class 2 rating recently became effective for those who live within the New Lenox Fire Protection District. To put the rating into perspective, of the approximately 46,000 fire departments in the United States, only 305 have achieved the elite Class 1 rating and only 1,482 have attained a Class 2 rating. This places New Lenox into the top 4% of the nation, leaving 96% of the fire departments across the United States with ratings below that which the New Lenox Fire Protection District has now achieved. The review process is comprehensive. Fire department review accounts for 50% of the total grading and reflects the district’s response capabilities. The water system within the community accounts for 40% and emergency communication systems account for 10% of the total grading.
“This achievement is a direct reflection of the service and dedication of our fire district, and the excellent work they do to protect our community every day,” said Fire District Trustee Joe Levey. “The rating also takes into consideration the water distribution system and fire hydrants that are serviced and maintained by the Village of New Lenox, and also the Laraway Communication Center staff, who professionally dispatch our public safety services.”
The ISO rating is one of the primary elements used by the insurance industry to develop fire protection premiums for homes and businesses. ISO provides ratings on a relative scale of 1 through 10, with 1 representing exemplary public fire protection and 10 indicating the public fire protection does not meet minimum standards. The lower the ISO rating, the lower the premium. The ISO rating reflects standards developed over many years from the study of pertinent fire protection conditions and performance standards.
“This new rating is partly based on our current staffing levels and proximity of our fire stations to all areas of the district, along with response times. Achieving a lower ISO rating is a difficult task that has taken several years to achieve. Our investment in fire mitigation, which is a proven and reliable predictor of future fire losses, helped improve our rating as well,” said Fire Chief Adam Riegel. “Cooperation and commitment of all the city and township departments were essential to this achievement and we will all work hard to maintain the Class 2 rating in the future.”
As the NLFPD’s ISO rating changes, they encourage all property owners, both residential and commercial, to contact their insurance agent and ask for a review of their individual fire insurance premium. Insurance companies – not ISO – establish the premiums they charge to policy holders. The methodology a company uses to calculate premiums for fire insurance may depend on the company’s fire loss experience, underwriting guidelines and marketing strategy. Assuming all other factors are equal, the price of your property insurance in the New Lenox area may decrease.
“Aside from the potential reduction in insurance premiums, the quest for a lower ISO rating has challenged our district to be better in all we do,” Chief Riegel stated. “Those who serve on the New Lenox Fire Protection District are dedicated to providing great service to benefit the area, its residents, and its future economic development opportunities.”
The improved ISO rating reflects the NLFPD’s commitment to investigate and implement strategies that promote economic development. The lower rating provides businesses with an opportunity to realize insurance savings, which results in an improved bottom line. Prospective businesses can rely on this as one indication that New Lenox is “business friendly” and open for business.
If you have specific questions related to the ISO rating change, please contact The New Lenox Fire Protection District at 815-463-4500. For more details about ISO, please visit www.isomitigation.com.
The primary mission of the New Lenox Fire and Ambulance Protection District is to provide a range of programs designed to protect the lives and property within New Lenox Village and Township from the effects for fires and sudden medical emergencies or exposure to dangerous conditions created by man or nature with professional, compassionate, and quality service.